A Month Later Still Angry and Still Seeing Red! (Phillies Red).

November 26th, 2010 by Schmitty | Filed under Baseball, General, Phillies.

It has been over a full month since the Philadelphia Phillies completely forgot how to hit, run and field in the NLCS.

Bad signs were present all throughout the entire 2010 season. The incredible pitching masked the lackluster, untimely hitting, aloof base running and inconsistent fielding.

At Least This Picture Still Makes Me Happy!

Maybe we as Phils fans should have seen this coming. I am not taking anything away from the Giants and their terrific starting four rotation. But they may be the worst starting eight and total 25 man roster to win a World series since the 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers.

There is a reason they call the MLB playoffs a second season. After a grueling 162 games which Philadelphia won more games than any other team in baseball, the playoffs take on a whole new meaning and dimension. In a sense, baseball is more like the NHL, where if you get in, ANY team can win. Rarely does the best record in the regular season ensure a title.

This brings me back to the fact we as Phils fans can throw tomatoes at the Phils starting 8 for leaving their bats home practically all year as well as forgetting how to run the bases and attempt to field routine balls.

I dont want to hear how the “Freak” out-pitched Hallady in Game 1 or Oswalt was out-pitched in Game 6 by Sanchez!  The Phils would have advanced in 6 games, even without hitting, if Ibanez (doesn’t jump) and catches a routine deep fly ball off the bat of Pat Burell – that was wrongly called a double.  Result: Halladay and Phils 3 and Lincicum and Giants 2 in Game 1.

Game 6’s 3’rd inning meltdown with Utley, Victorino, Polanco and Howard handed SF 2 runs. Yes, the Phils stranded base runners left and right.  But, with out that defensive meltdown, Oswalt and company celebrate a third World Series trip in three years.

I think the bottom line was most of this Philllies team felt they had to just show up and wins would simply come.

They played lackluster baseball for most of the season. Their cavalier approach earned them what I call the equivalent of a CHOKE in dramatic proportions to that of the Dr. J led super talented squad of 76-77 Sixers.

In my opinion this season was a waste!

In regards to Charlie Manuel, I firmly believe he was screwed out of Manager of the Year consideration due to all the injuries, yet compiling the best record in the majors. Go figure, they handed SD’s manager who blew a season long division lead. Typical baseball writers with heads up their asses like 75% of this Phillies team this year.

Soul searching must be done amongst all returning Phillies players and ANYTHING short of a World Series title is a wasted season AGAIN! God forbid we become the next Braves legacy with division titles year in and out with 1 lone title!

PHILLIES PLAYED LIKE TURKEYS

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “A Month Later Still Angry and Still Seeing Red! (Phillies Red).”

1. Johnny G says:

“But they may be the worst starting eight and total 25 man roster to win a World series since the 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers.”

I hope you’re not being serious. They set Major League records for pitching with their rotation and bullpen.

• Christian says:

I think he meant the position players, NOT the pitchers. I know you want to rush to Burrell’s defense, but try to hold off a little. I’ll give him credit bringing a tough mentality into the SF dugout. But he also has less base hits in the World Series (1) than rings (2). He’s played in 11 World Series games and has 1 hit for crying out loud! Saber Metrics give you no points for mental toughness Johnny!!

• Schmitty says:

I stated that the starting 4 pitchers for the Giants and that crazy ass bearded closer/reliever were INSANELY GREAT!

Take a close look at their starting 8 and bench players. they were comprised of castoffs other teams threw away and essentialy AVERAGE AT BEST utitlity players AND OVER THE HILL FORMER STARTERS that WOULD NEVER start on most teams.

The best player in Posey who is and will be a stud was not even called up till a month or two into the season. Cody Ross was an average player picked up to keep the Padres from nabbing him. Rowand was great at one time in the AL and with the Phils, but is old and stinks now. I fully realize you are Pat Burell #1 fan for some interesting reason???????? Take a look at his post season stats with the Phils and Giants! TERRIBLE! Absolutely horrific! You cant defend that! He was gifted a flyball out IN GAME 1 that the ancient retard Ibanez dropped and the blind score keeper Gave Pat a double.

Look the GIANTS WERE A GOOD TEAM THAT CAUGHT LIGHTING IN A BOTTLE WITH A TON OF ONE RUN WINS AND TIMELY HITTING FROM average PLAYERS.
        THEY WILL BE GOOD AGAIN NEXT YEAR WITH THAT PITCHING, BUT I WOULD BE SHOCKED IF THEY WIN ANYTHING MORE THAN THE DIVISION UNLESS THEY GO OUT AND GET AN OFFENSE. THE DODGERS AND PADRES SUCK!

THEY TOOK THAT DIVISION ON THE LAST DAY THANKS TO A HISTORIC COLLAPSE BY THE PADRES LIKE THE METS IN RECENT YEARS.

JUST CURIOUS JOHNNY DO YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A TEAM YOU CALL YOUR FAVORITE OR OWN OR DO YOU POST RAYS AND GIANTS LOGOS CAUSE THEY WIN? HAHA!

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I NEED A NEW KEYBOARD AFTER NUMEROUS COFFEE SPILLS.
        KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JOHNNY AND CK!

• Johnny G says:

You lost me when you said the worst 25 man roster. The 25 man roster includes 5 pitchers who combined to set MLB records for post-season production. You win with pitching and defense. The majority of the time, the World Series Champion catches lightning in a bottle and are not the best team that season.

• Johnny G says:

When you say it was one of the worst 25 man rosters to win a world series in 15 years, that includes the pitchers. I don’t see anywhere where i mentioned Burrell in my statements.

For the record, I wouldn’t agree with that “bringing the mental toughness” thing even though it is a compliment to burrell. I am very unbiased, as hard as that is for you to believe.

• Schmitty says:

Sorry, Johnny I forgot you LOVE Burrell for some INSANE reason…HaHa! CK said that comment about mental toughness not me. Actually I think he is soft mentally. Anyone who musters 1 hit in over 40 World Series at bats seems SOFT to me!

Besides don’t be mad at me! You know I am a diehard Phils fan who is a sore loser, knowing they played maybe up to 60% of their potential and essentially lost a World Series for the taking. Being objective I was not as upset last year when a superior Yank team beat them. And with NO DISRESPECT to a very good Giants squad, I would bet my girlfriends savings account the Phils take 8 out 10 NLCS from the Giants if their fucking heads were out of their asses! Even steadfast players like Chase could not play a fucking routine ball. And for the recored, just curious why is error and hit calling so fucking liberal in the playoffs? I saw atleast 10 errors in both leagues that were sure fire errors called hits that would not have in the regular season.
          Looking forward to another great article from you! NBA or NHL ranking? Flers top 3 and Sixers bottom 3?
          Peace pal!