Leave Tiger Alone?

February 20th, 2010 by Christian | Filed under General, TalkSportsPhilly, Twitter.

I was enjoying dinner with friends last night, when inevitably the Tiger Woods subject came up. By the end of the discussion, I was (surprisingly) alone in my opinion that this isn’t just Tiger’s business. I was amazed that three of my friends and my wife held the position that this should be between Tiger and his wife, and the media is blowing things out of proportion. People shouldn’t be this interested in this guy’s sex life, they argued.

While I respect their opinions, I think that’s total BS. Tiger Woods is currently the most famous athlete in the world. He has presented himself for over a decade as the perfect athlete, who wins through conditioning, preparation, and being mentally tougher than his opponents. He was invincible, with no apparent flaws in his game. He also projected an image of domestic bliss, with a beautiful blonde, model-esque wife, and two adorable children. The picture was carefully crafted, and perfect.

To say that image has been shattered is the understatement of the century.

If Tiger had simply cheated on his wife, and had, say one or two mistresses, people would understand. He just made a mistake. And if he and his wife reconciled in private, that would be the end of it. Hey, men and women cheat on their spouses sometimes. Everyone knows that. It would not be the spectacle it is becoming.

But this is a LOT different than a guy simply cheating on his wife. Tiger had FIFTEEN (known) mistresses and consciously planned, with several people in his circle, to continually deceive not only his wife and family, but everyone. This was his life for many years, and this level of conspiratorial infidelity involves a sophisticated network of covert operations to keep the carousel of women coming and going, while hiding it from the press and public. He didn’t just bump into a girl one night, hit it off, and sleep with her. Tiger knew exactly what he was doing, and worked very hard, day and night, behind the scenes to keep his behavior concealed.

These revelations are a startling departure from his prior public persona. And it’s quite surprising how stark the contrast is. It’s also perplexing to think he’s done this for as long as he has without being caught. If I made a ton of money and traveled a lot, maybe I could get away with it (if I was so inclined), but here’s a news flash that perhaps one of his handlers should have advised him: YOU’RE TIGER FREAKING WOODS! Everyone recognizes you everywhere. In every hotel lobby and in every restaurant! How could you possibly think you are not going to get caught?!

In his public apology, Tiger appeared to me to be a little nervous, and a lot scripted & rehearsed. The only real emotion I saw was when he talked about the media. His voice deepened with anger and he sounded more like a real person than at any other point in his statement. It was particularly curious. Why is he angry at the media? He has used it to amass an estimated billion dollar fortune. Did he really think no one would ever find out he had a harem? You are the most famous athlete in the world at a time when (look around) there are cameras everywhere! Tiger, you had to know this day would come. Your anger at the media is misdirected. And people are NOT wrong for being interested in your fall. Are they wrong for cheering your victories?

As my friends and wife argued differently, I raised the topic of steroid allegations. To which they responded they thought he “absolutely did not use steroids.” Again I was amazed at their confidence. I, of course, don’t know one way or the other, but my view is just that – we don’t know. And how can you be so sure, especially now that his credibility is as damaged as it is? If he lied for well over a decade about dozens of mistresses, is he above lying about steroid use? If you believe it ISN’T POSSIBLE, then you are still buying the same public image of perfection, that Tiger and his PR people sold you.

The next question of debate was: will he dominate just as before when he returns to the links? Again, consensus agreement that yes, he will dominate just like before. I am not so sure. Golf is more of a mental game than physical. And never before has Tiger Woods’ psyche been pierced. Sure, he might just shake this off with the laser focus we’ve become so accustomed to. But this ordeal could potentially derail his whole career. Only time will tell. There’s an old adage that says, “Behind the fall of every great man is a woman.” Or is that fifteen women?

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Leave Tiger Alone?”

1. seanfrancissmith says:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Poor tiger just lost anotheR rendorsement! gatorade dropped him too! ck was right the downfall and ramifications have just begun to fall! while i wish no ill towards anyone, MAYBE i AM SICK IN THE HEAD TO LIKE SEEING SUCH A FRAUD (SQUEEKY CLEAN POSTER BOY) GET EXPOSED!) LOOKS LIKE IT’S TIME FOR HIM TO ASK TROJAN CONDOMS IF THEY NEED HELP WITH ENDORSEMENTS! LOL! I ADMIT I WAS A MALE PIG (ACTUALLY A STUD WHO GAVE WOMEN WHAT THEY CRAVED A REAL MAN!) BUT I WAS SINGLE! GET IT TIGER SINGLE! NO WIFE, GIRLFRIEND, KIDS, OR YOUNG KIDS WHO IDOLIZED YOU! OR COMPANIES THAT PAIDME ZILLIONS TO REP FOR THEM. ALL I GOT WAS FREE DINNERS AND COMPLIMENTS ON MY ZEN LIKE LOVE MAKING ABILITIES! SORRY MY TAB BUTTON IS CRAZY TODAY!

2. Woods was caught last week making woopie with one of the other patients at his therapy center. Now he is apologizing to the media and his sponsors. What’s he going to be doing next week???? And, hey Tiger, we all know your wife beat the poop out of you with a mashie niblick. I guess she’s not satisfied just being your baby mamma.

3. MChick says:

You are all FUCKING NUTS!Who the fuck cares what Tiger Woods does!That’s the problem with society,you hold these people(atheletes)above yourselves and your families!They’re fucking playing a game that they get paid very well to do!Aren’t there more serious problems in your communities,cities,NATION to be discussing-poverty,hunger,losing houses,unemployment,medical insurance that should be on the front burner and resolved!That’s the problem,people NEED to discuss other people’s problems like it’s thier own!The press is really to blame,the only people he should have to apologize to are his wife and the endorsers who are paying him,not some youngster from somewhere who will grow up and have his/her own vices or are all the children who grew up idolizing Gretzky,Unitis,and any other athelete that did”everthing right”is now the PERFECT person!No,we all have faults,we all slip up,but it is up to that PERSON to get back up!It should be NO ONE’S business what he does when he is not on a GOLF COURSE!Live your own lives,go to work pay, your bills,enjoy your families,because none of these GODS are ever going to do that for you!peace out!

• seanfrancissmith says:

Wow, Chick sound like you need some anger management! Of COURSE there are much more serious issues in this world than the idiot Tiger. I think you missed the point…THIS is a SPORTS site first, NOT a WORLD NEWS site. Go to CNN or somewhere else to vent your myopic view! Or go visit OBAMA or the UNITED NATIONS if you are soo irrate and talk to them!

• Christian says:

Lunatic- being interested in Tiger’s downfall is human nature. Do you watch him succeed on the golf course? Have you followed him for the past decade? Why? You don’t know him from a can of fucking paint! So why are you interested in some stranger who can golf better than you? For the same reason people are interested in a married man who portays himself as squeaky clean, but has fifteen mistresses. It’s interesting you jackass. It doesn’t mean I put him above myself. Or my family. Maybe you do, like I said, because he’s secretly your hero! Tubby.

• ChrisLeo33 says:

I agree, they are only sports players, we all have played sports, they are no better than the bum on the street! That being said, Entertainment is necessary in society to keep us from ripping each other apart!!

4. Johnny G says:

That was one of the worst public speaking performances i have ever seen. Just painful to watch.

5. JIMMY S says:

YOUR PRIVACY IS THE PRICE OF FAME!

6. tophat says:

What is the question?Should it be news? It is news. Turn on your TV. Should people care ?They do care.Open your eyes and ears.Tiger is a public figure.That is \public\ as in people are watching you.What is this nonsense about a private life.That is given up when you take a public job.Stop whining you are well paid for being in the public eye.Just think of your auto mechanic getting caught cheating with 15 different women Action News might think that was news worthy on a slow day.That poor guy must go back to giving mechanical tuneups with a wife who is tuning him up.

7. seanfrancissmith says:

Great article CK! I think Tiger is a complete ASS! Like most addicts, they don’t get it on their first try. I am confident he will relapse again and again, unfortunately before he gets it! I understand where people believe this should be a private matter. BUT when you are the FACE of a sport and endorse so many products and reap millions in profits and are an idol and role model to many younger people it becomes public! Singers, Actors, Athletes all accept fame and fortune with open arms for the most part, and along with that comes lack of privacy and public scrutiny!
    So my little nympho Tiger, divorce or try to garner trust back (which you won’t or can’t, unless your wife is that stupid of a blonde)and discontinue to be a male whore. Golf deal with losing your endorsements and the self respect which is gone already (priceless). Or drop out of the scene and go screw your brains out!
    Either way your apology was weak, insincere and paper thin. Now you and your idol Michael Jordan have another commonality, besides being tops in your professions, you are serial cheaters both in need of a moral compass!

8. VinnyScrench says:

If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

9. Christian says:

If you want people interested when you’re on top, you can’t just tell them to go away when you’re at the bottom.

10. fmMD says:

When this first came up, I had no opinion on the matter. I found it amusing, but I didn’t really care. I never hold athletes up as anything more than guys who are really good at something that pays well.

But here’s where everybody’s logic falls apart.

I didn’t want to pay attention to Tiger, but *tiger forced me to have an opinion*. Generally, when you want to apologize to someone to keep it private, you don’t call a press conference and then apologize to your wife through the lens of ESPN.

Thus, regardless of your opinion about the privacy of the matter, *Tiger Woods* has made this a public matter. Not me. Not the press.

So this argument is not a reasonable since the opinion of the only man that matters: Tiger Woods, says this is a public matter.