What is the NFL Thinking?

November 26th, 2009 by Christian | Filed under Football, General.

Please Spare Us

After getting stuff ready for Thanksgiving, I plopped down on the couch to catch a few minutes of the game before family began arriving for dinner. After a few plays, I was compelled to get up and enter this post. I’ll keep it brief.

What on earth is the NFL thinking putting the Detroit Lions on every Thanksgiving? This is awful. They stink. They’re one of the worst franchises in pro sports. Last year they were 0-16! This year they’re not much better at 2-8. Since 2001, they have won 2, 3, 5, 6, 5, 3, 7, and 0 games in each season. That’s an average of 3.875 wins per year! Is the NFL kidding?

Why are we force fed this team every year? I’m sure the NFL knows they have a huge national audience and it might not be a good idea to keep showcasing the worst team in your league year after year. But, I can hear them say, ‘this is a Thanksgiving tradition.’ If this is a tradition, it’s a tradition I can do without.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “What is the NFL Thinking?”

1. mkat33 says:

Just because something’s a tradition doesn’t make it good. (Fraternity hazing, drinking and driving, owning slaves, burning witches, supporting Andy Reid, etc.)

2. Christian says:

Agreed Schmitty– I love the three game format, but the Lions have to go. Let them get that franchise in order before they are just handed Thanksgiving Day every year.

3. seanfrancissmith says:

Christian, I was brainstorming of something relevant to write about today, but apparently the early bird gets the worm!
    You stated this perfectly. Here we are on a wonderful Thanksgiving to celebrate family, friends and football. Well two out of three ain’ bad! I do like the waythe NFL has expanded the Thanksgiving format to three games recently.
    Now it’s time to change again!
    They should start rotating the teams so that every francise plays eventually or playoff teams face each other in hopes of quality games!
    These Cowboy & Lion games induce sleep along with turkey!
    MLB had the Cubs go to night games and the Reds rid themselves of black spikes. It’s time for the NFL to roll with the times.

4. chrisleo33 says:

Detroit has been playing on Thanksgiving forever. Rarely do they put up a good game and usually we are treated to a blowout. But it has become tradition for a Detroit pounding on national TV.

5. JimmyS says:

Let’s hope the next game is better. I’m tempted to use Johnny G’s pick and bet – just to make it interesting.

6. tophat says: